Saturday, December 01, 2007

Getting older

Not that I am any authority on what it is like to be considered "elderly" but I do know that our culture needs to show more respect for the older and wiser. We have so much knowledge to gain from their experiences and more times than not, it seems we let that knowledge pass us by. My grandmother is in a nursing home and she has Alzheimer's. I know she is not the same person I remember her as and it's hard to deal with that. I have learned though that she is a new person who still needs love and support. I bring my infant son to the nursing home to see her and she along with all of the residents perks up at the sight of him. It's amazing to see the transformation that takes place when people decide to share love, and take a little time to talk to these people. One very important thing to do with an elderly loved one is to read to them! I think it is sooo important, and talk about perking up! Finally there is a publishing company that is specializing in books and stories for the elderly. It's about time. I'm going to be mentioning them a lot because this is a very great thing! Ageless-Sages is the name. They have just started up and have their first publication coming out soon. Click the link above to see what I'm talking about.

No comments: